Verbs of Victory
Topic: Temptation Passage: 1 Peter 5:8, 1 Peter 2:11, Titus 2:22
Have you ever been discouraged over your sin? To be victorious, the believer needs to behave wisely. Listen to find out the four verbs that will help you have victory over sin!
1. Resist the devil. (1 Peter 5:8; James 4:7)
- Oppose the devil. He is the prince of the power of this age. We must learn to be in opposition to the teaching and forces of the devil in this world. Stand where God stands.
2. Refrain from sinful lusts.
(1 Peter 2:11; Acts 15:20; 1 Thessalonians 4:3, 5:22)
- Abstain means to constantly hold oneself from. Stiff arm the flesh. Resist the flesh. The flesh wages war on the soul and my spiritual well-being.
3. Run from sinful lusts. (2 Timothy 2:22)
- Fleeing is a command. We need to continually run away from sin to avoid being taken captive. Don’t linger around temptation! Take flight!
4. Run after God. (2 Timothy 2:22b)
- Pursue righteousness. Pursue godliness. Are you pursuing love or lust? Are you pursuing peace or strife? If you don’t run after God, you won’t resist, refrain, and run.
- We must spend time in His Word. The reason we are not successful in our Christian life is that we are not running after God. (Joshua 1:8) The pursuit of your life should be God.
- Confess your sin to God. Run after Him.
More in Temptation
September 9, 2018Overcoming Satan, the Flesh, and the World, Part 2
August 26, 2018Overcoming Satan, the Flesh, and the World, Part 1
August 19, 2018Don't Let the World Get into You