The Husband's Role in Marriage, Part 2
Topic: Marriage Passage: Ephesians 5:21–5:27, 1 Peter 3:7–3:7
The husband and wife have God-ordained roles within marriage. God's role for the husband is addressed in our texts: 1 Peter 3:7 and Ephesians 5:21-27. This sermon is the second of a two-part message.
1. The husband is to be a learner. (1 Peter 3:7)
2. The husband is to honor and respect his wife in everything.
3. The husband is to be a godly leader. (Ephesians 5:23)
- A godly leader is not a dictator.
- Godly leadership does not mean that the husband makes all the decisions.
- A godly leader is a servant. (John 13:4-5)
- A godly leader leads by example. He should be a positive pacesetter.
- A godly leader is a growing Christian.
- A godly leader will be most interested in the spiritual condition and growth of his wife. (Ephesians 5:26-27)
4. The husband is to be a lover. (Ephesians 5:25, 28, 33)
- Love Defined:
• Love expects nothing in return.
• Love is unconditional and sacrificial.
• Love gives to meet the needs of someone else.
• Love is volitional or an act of the will.
• It’s the kind of love God demonstrated by sending His Son.
• It’s the kind of love Christ showed by giving His life for us.
- Love Demonstrated
• Demonstrate it by loving first because Christ loved us first. (1 John 4:19)
• Demonstrate it by loving more as Christ loved us more.
• Demonstrate it by loving sacrificially as Christ sacrificed His life.
• Demonstrate it by loving in deed as Christ showed His love by action.
• Demonstrate it by loving in spite of her faults as Christ loves us in spite of our sins.
• Demonstrate it by loving without expecting anything in return as Christ loves us unconditionally.