Teach Them Diligently
Topic: Parenting Passage: Deuteronomy 6:4–6:9
The words in Deuteronomy 6:4-9 are some of Moses’ last words of instruction to the Israelites. This passage is known as The Shema (Matthew 22:34-38). It is one of the most quoted passages in Judaism. It was directed to fathers. They were instructed to diligently teach their children to love God.
1. The Command to Teach
- Deuteronomy 6:7
- Fathers, persistently, earnestly, and diligently teach your children God’s Word and do it all the time!
- Ephesians 6:4
- This command is not directed only to Jews.
- Teaching involves loving, corrective discipline. (Hebrews 12:5-11)
- Teaching involves admonition and counsel.
2. The Goals of Teaching
- Help your kids come to know Christ.
- Help your kids to be Christ-like.
- Help your kids glorify Christ.
3. The Causes for Not Teaching
- Ignorance – Fathers don’t know the Word.
- Priorities – Fathers have idols.
- Time – Fathers are too busy.
What do I do if I’m not teaching them diligently?
- Repent and ask God to forgive you.
- Ask your kids to forgive you.
- Get into God’s Word.
- Talk with kids about what God is teaching you.
- Determine a plan to follow in teaching your kids.
- Set a specific time to have family devotions.
- Start teaching and talking about God Word.
- When you blow it, get it right.
- Let them see you grow and see Christ in you
- Spend your life challenging them to follow Christ.