Topic: Christian Growth Passage: Philippians 3:4–3:17
At the beginning of the new year, we often make resolutions. You could call resolutions principles to live by. Paul lays out biblical principles to live by in Philippians 3.
1. Paul had a resolve to abandon unnecessary things.
- The useless trappings of religion (Philippians 3:4)
- The useless trappings of the world and society: materialism, position, prestige, etc. (Philippians 3:8; 1 John 2:15)
2. Paul had a resolve to have a greater association with Jesus Christ. (Philippians 3:10)
- By having a deeper knowledge of Christ through reading, studying, and meditating on His Word
- By the powerful influence of Christ’s resurrection (1 Corinthians 15:3-4)
- By the fellowship of Christ’s sufferings
3. Paul had a resolve to maintain a right pursuit. (Philippians 3:13-14)
- He realized that he had not attained perfection. (Romans 7:19; Philippians 3:13; Galatians 5)
- He realized he needed to stay devoted and not give up. (Philippians 3:14)
- He understood the value of the goal. (2 Timothy 4:8; 1 Corinthians 15:58)
Are these resolutions a part of your life? Will you resolve to commit to these biblical principles?