Live a Life Craving God's Word
Topic: Christian Growth Passage: 1 Peter 2:1–2:3
In 1 Peter 2:1-3, Peter focuses on the spiritual growth of believers. The keyword in these verses is the word “long” or “crave.” What are we to crave? We are to crave the pure milk of God’s Word.
1. The Command to Crave God’s Word
• This command is to intensely feed on God’s Word.
• This command is essential in order to live for God. (1 Peter2:1 - The word“therefore” refers to the previous chapter which outlines how believers should live.)
2. The Way to Crave God’s Word
• Remove all sinful hindrances to spiritual growth. (1 John 1:9; Ephesians 4:25; Colossians 3:8; Hebrews 12:1; James 1:21)
- All malice - Eagerness to do harm to others
- All deceit - Using deception, like a worm on a hook, to capture others
- All envy - Being stirred up about the advantages of others
- All slander- Injurious speech about others, usually behind their backs
• Crave God’s Word like a hungry baby craves his other’s milk. (1 Peter 2:2)
3. The Reasons to Crave God’s Word
• Feeding on God’s Word produces spiritual growth
- This teaches that feeding on God’s Word produces spiritual growth, not salvation. (Ephesians 2:8-9)
• Experiencing a personal relationship with Jesus Christ (1 Peter 2:3)
- “If” can be translated “now” in this passage. If you have been saved, you have tasted of God’s salvation, and it changes you. (Psalm 34:8; 2 Corinthians 5:17)
- Personal Bible study shouldn’t be reduced strictly to content. The reason is to learn of Christ Who reveals Himself to us through His Word.
Have you tasted of Christ? If you have been saved, you should feed on His Word every day.