The Living Stone and His Chosen People, Part 1
Topic: Christ Passage: 1 Peter 2:4–2:10
In describing Christ's work and His relationship to His people, the Apostle Peter uses the analogy of a structure built with stones with Christ as the Chief Cornerstone. In part one of this sermon, we will learn of how God is using believers as living stones to build His Church upon the foundation of Christ the Cornerstone.
1. Christ is the Living Stone. (1 Peter 2:4)
• The Living Stone is alive and gives spiritual life to believers. (Matthew 16:16)
• The Living Stone was rejected by men.
• The Living Stone was chosen and valued by God. (1 Peter 1:19)
2. Christians become living stones. (1 Peter 2:5)
• Christians become living stones when they accept Christ as Savior. (John 6:51)
• Christians are being built up by God. (Romans 8:28-29)
• Christians are part of God’s holy priesthood. (1 Peter 2:9)
- There should be a clear contrast between believers and the unredeemed.
• Christians, as priests, are to spend their lives worshipping and serving God in a way that is acceptable to Him. (Romans 12:1-2; Hebrews 13:15-16; Ephesians 5; Revelation 8:4)