God's Purposes for Marriage, Part 2
Topic: Marriage Passage: Genesis 1:26–1:28
Men and women are made in God’s image. We have intellect, the ability to reason and create, morality, emotions, and a will. After the Fall of Man, the image of God was marred in man. God desires for us to reflect Himself to others. Marriage should also be a reflection of God’s image. We are to glorify God in our marriages.
In part one of this sermon, we learned about the first of God's purposes for marriage: Companionship. In this message, we studied the remaining three.
God's Purposes for Marriage:
2. Children (Genesis 1:26-28; Psalm 127:3-5)
- Children are able to extend the ministry of the parents. They allow a husband and wife to make a greater impact for Christ.
3. Sexual Purity and Pleasure
- Sex in marriage is pure. (Hebrews 13:4)
- Sex in marriage is meant to be pleasurable. (Proverbs 5:15-20)
- Sex outside of marriage is a sin. (1 Corinthians 7:1-5, 8-9; 1 Thessalonians 4:3-8)
- Sex is not God’s only purpose for marriage.
4. Pictures Christ’s Relationship with His Church (Ephesians 5:22-25)
- Marriage gives us the greatest picture of the intimate relationship Christ has with His bride, the Church.
- How does marriage picture Christ’s relationship with His church?
• The husband’s unconditional, sacrificial love for his wife is a picture of Christ’s sacrificial love for the Church.
• The wife’s submission to her head, her husband, is a picture of the submission the Church should have to her Head, Christ.